Sunday, April 22, 2012

Ithaca's Moosewood Restaurant and Gyros in Albany

     Continuing my college quest brought my dad and I through the gorgeously green hills of upstate New York, and the funky little town of Ithaca. Of the multiple vegan friendly recipes I found, courtesy of the app urban spoon, we chose to eat at this one because my dad recognized the name from a cookbook that was apparently popular c. 1960.  
    Anyway, it was quite tasty.
Golden Lentil Soup

The Mexican Plate tortilla chips, quacamole, tomatoes, lettuce -- a little dissappointing, strangely I think it would have been more exciting in a salad bowl, or something that gave it a little more depth and layers.

Vegan Chocolate Cake -- oh my gosh good!

The Moosewood Restaurant 
215 N Cayuga Street, Ithaca, New York

     And on the way home, as quick stop off the high way, we stumbled upon a vegan Gyro Station. Gyros are one of my favorite non-vegan foods, and I haven't had one since being vegan. 
     For those in the dark, a gyro is a pita wrap with beef, lamb, fresh tomatoes, sometimes lettuce and tzatziki sauce. What I had was a falafel gyro, so everything in an original, but substitute the meat with falafel. It was so, close your eyes and sigh, good. 
     I had tucked it away before realizing I should have taken a quick snapshot to immortalize its goodness. But it's just as well, because also in the shot would have been my bare feet on the dashboard and the absolute mess of trash on the floor that always comes with a road trip. It was the perfect car food, and to my veg-sensibilities. 

The Gyro Station
185 1/2 Lark Street, Albany, New York

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Gyro! That was my dad’s favorite food. It also became my favorite food when dad brought me to one of the restaurants in Albany which had this on their menu. From then on, I always craved for it whenever I visit Albany. They have the best falafel in the place.

    *Daphne Michaels

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Golden Lentil soup looks delicious, huh! Even the vegan chocolate cake! My wife is always craving for it, so I’m sure she would love to try that one! The last time we visited Albany, we went to a Vietnamese restaurant. We fell in love with the food! We’d love to go back there soon! ;)

    Danny Riddell

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...