Tuesday, May 1, 2012

A Truly Delightful Bistro

     This evening I dinned at one of my absolute favorite restaurants in my neck of the woods, True Bistro. My mom and I dropped in for an early dinner, after a long, cranky, wet and frigid New England spring day at around 5.
     On a day that neither of us felt like exerting the energy to cook and deal with dirty dishes, this little gem was the perfect quiet, simple yet chic atmosphere needed to enjoy a relaxed, but undeniably decadent meal. The menu is flavorful and always eclectic, as well as being completely vegan!
     I have become quite the frequent flyer after discovering this place, and am still working my way through the menu, making sure never to have the same thing twice... which means each time I convince myself to order an exorbitant amount of food, in the name of research.
     This time I really may have outdone myself;

The appetizer: Pâté of tempeh & walnuts, fresh baguette and house pickled vegetables
the pate was wonderfully subtle and had a rich flavor, while the white, mayo like spread had an inexplicable tangyness to it. I piled the little pickled veggies on top of my pate laden bread, and the mx of sharp pickled flavor and the nutty pate along with the tang of the mayo.


The entree: Green curry with fried tofu, mizuna & bok choy, maitake mushrooms, black rice cake
The black rice cake was extremely airy and light and the sauce was subdued and just the tiniest bit sweet, perhaps even a little coconutty. 


The side dish: Cornmeal-crusted oyster mushrooms, horseradish-dill aioli, aji amarillo sauce
I could eat these little suckers by the pound, and the horseradish-dill was deliciously bitter, but not over-powering.


The dessert: Napoleon, layers of crisp sugared phyllo, white chocolate mousse, fresh berries
just look at this. the phyllo was crispy and crackly, without flaking apart, and coated crystals of sugar. the strawberries were fresh and the white chocolate mousse, though not a true substitute for the real deal, was wonderfully light.
now get there and have a real look, a little closer now.


 


     We had so much fun indulging ourselves, perhaps a little too much fun, as I am now nursing a serious food hangover.

True Bistro
1153 Broadway, Somerville, MA 02144



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...