Monday, April 9, 2012

The Upcoming Voyage for this Vegan

     This coming summer I will be jetsetting off to Seoul Korea for my first experience abroad whilst trying to maintain a vegan diet.
     Now, I don't even know if it is a possibility to stay vegan in Korea. I do know that meat plays a very large role in Korean culture, but that is no different from America. I also know that there are such things as vegetarian Koreans, so it can't be unimaginable that there will be vegetarian options for me --  it just may take some serious digging. 
     More on the probability of my efforts paying off, as I come closer to takeoff.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the commitment to stay animal-free! I'm Korean, and although I'm not vegan/vegetarian (though I used to be), I know how hard it is to maintain a veg diet in the Korean community (so I can't imagine the challenge of being vegan in Korea). It's especially hard when it comes to eating at restaurants (social pressure) or at big dinner parties (the hosts may be offended). My tip is to eat a lot of the banchan (the small dishes that act sort of like many appetizers) - they typically include seasoned spinach, soybeans, kimchi (if you're into it!), tofu (called 'dubu'), and sometimes seaweed ('keem'). Congrats again - good luck and have fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Ashley! I'm definitely nervous about eating with my friends there, the last thing I want to do it offend anyone. and great advice, I'm totally into kimchi :]

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...